- 1.5kg sebago potatoes, washed
- 100g grated cheddar
- 60ml (¼ cup) cream
- 2 tsp chicken salt, plus extra, to serve
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup lupin crumb
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 40g (¼ cup) lupin flour
- ¾ cup crushed toasted protein flakes
- Sunflower or vegetable oil spray
- Mayonnaise/jalapeno sauce, to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan forced. Place potatoes on a baking tray and roast for 1 hour or until just tender. Allow to cool before peeling and placing in a large bowl. Use a potato masher or ricer to mash until smooth.
- Stir in the cheese, cream, half the chicken salt, 1 egg and half the lupin crumb and breadcrumbs until well combined. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Use a fork to whisk the remaining egg in a bowl. Place the lupin flour and remaining chicken salt in a shallow bowl. Combine the remaining crumbs and flake crumbs in a large bowl.
- Roll a heaped tablespoon of potato mixture into a ball. Roll in the flour mixture, then dip in egg (allowing excess to drip off) and roll in crumbs, pressing gently to coat. Place on the prepared tray. Repeat until all potato mixture is used.
- Spray potato balls with oil. Place 9-12 balls in an air fryer, leaving room around each ball so they crisp up nicely. Air fry at 200°C for 10 minutes or until balls are crisp and golden. Repeat with remaining balls.
- Serve potato balls sprinkled with extra chicken salt and with mayo on the side for dipping.